Monday, April 7, 2008

Narrative

These are the lyrics to one of my all-time favorite songs ever by a band called Gin Blossoms! I think these lyrics have the writer's heart very evident in them. In just 4 verses and a chorus, I get an entire picture of a relationship that seemed very one sided. It's sort of a sad song that's just a reflection of sad emotions I guess. But overall, I think it's great story-telling as far as content and narrative.

Found Out About You
by Gin Blossoms

All last summer in case you don't recall
I was yours and you were mine forget it all
Is there a line that I could write
Sad enough to make you cry
And all the lines you wrote to me were lies

Months roll past the love that you struck dead
Did you love me only in my head
Well the things you said and did to me
Seemed to come so easily
The love I thought I'd won you gave for free

Whispers at the bus stop
I heard about night's out in the school yard
I found out about you

Rumors follow everywhere you go
Like when you left and I was last to know
Well you're famous now and there's no doubt
In all the places you hang out
They know your name and they know what you're about

Street lights blink on through the car window
I get the time too often on A.M. radio
You know its all I think about
I write your name, drive past your house
You're boyfriend's over, I watch your lights go out

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Aww Gin Blossoms! I loved Hey Jealousy the best.

I saw them for 2 bucks in a little auditorium at Salisbury State University, which was in my home town.

I guess it might not be so hard to believe now..but in their prime I was like, yeah, I saw them before they were famous!

Unknown said...

Thats awesome! They're one of my all time favorite bands. I actually hang out with them (mostly with one of the guitarists) after their shows whenever they play around this area.